"The wise woman builds her house. . ." Proverbs 14:1


Saturday, July 10, 2010

Teachable and Funny Moments

Today I had one of those "breathe deeply" moments. That's what I love about my life, remembering that the best things in life are those that make you breathe deeply and enjoy the moment. They cannot be bought, acquired, or planned for in any way. This evening as I weeded the garden, Eliza, my six year old, sat down at the edge of the garden and we got into a discussion on prayer. As we got deeper into the discussion, I realized that this was one of those really teachable moments for my very "unteachable" child. Eliza listened intently as I explained that we can pray any time or anywhere and God hears us. She said, "Really??? I can pray right now?" I guess to her six year old mind, we prayed at bedtime, and since she can see or hear Mommy pray during the day, she didn't realize it could be done other times. I explained to her how I often pray when I am running the vacuum or mowing the grass. We then touched on the subject of knowing if God answers ours prayers and I explained to her that sometimes He says "no" sometimes "yes" and sometimes "not now, just wait". She wanted to know how I knew that God was answering my prayer - how did I hear Him speak? I explained that the best I could in six-year old terms. By now, she'd heard enough and sitting on the grass beside the garden, she bowed her head and prayed quietly (I couldn't really hear what she prayed) but quietly said "amen". At the sound of that word, Eric bustled over to her, crouched down to look her in the eyes and said, "So, Sissy, what did He say??"

No comments:

Post a Comment