"The wise woman builds her house. . ." Proverbs 14:1


Monday, July 26, 2010

Mommmeee!!!

"Mommeeee!!" There are days I think I hear that 100 times! This past year at MOPS we talked about finding the "me" in Mommy. I think of that a lot when I hear my kids yell the word. If you listen to them, you can really hear "mom" "me". When we talked about this at MOPS, I realized I couldn't remember the "me" b.k. (before kids). I started brainstorming with Craig to help me remember just what I used to do to have fun and relax. I used to walk, and I still love to walk but pushing or taking the kids along on a walk is not easy as it once was when they were smaller and I like to walk briskly - not exactly easy with kids in toe nor is it fun for them to hustle down our hilly road.

Last week, I decided to check out a book at the library. Hmmm, reading a "hobby" that I had to trace back to pre-marriage. I used to cry my eyes out reading Nicholas Sparks' books in my bed at night. Since marriage, I had labeled myself a "non-reader". However, last Sunday I picked up the first book in a series from Beverly Lewis, and by Wednesday evening I had finished the book. Now, I've read books about being a good mom and such in the past couple years, but to sit down and get lost in a story. . . .it had been a long while. On this past Friday's trip to the library, I picked up the second book in the series. . . I started yesterday and found myself immensely enjoying getting lost in the world of the Plain People. It's so much more interesting than t.v. to me, and I feel like it's stimulating my brain.

I love being a mom, but I want my children to see that I have interests and abilities beyond taking care of their needs. The needs of my family is definately first in my life. However, I think that it is important to feel alive as a woman too, so that I am a more whole person. When I "feed" the needs of myself - the "me" who is also the "mom" - I feel that I can better meet my families' needs with joy and love in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment