
After Eliza was home from school, we went out into the yard with our good kite and set sail. The kids both had a fantastic time flying their kite against the perfect blue cloudless sky. It was a perfect fall day.

Eliza and Eric both took turns flying the kite by themselves, and for the first time, they were very successful kite flyers. They took turns at the controls of the kite and laying in the grass watching the kite soar while the other one flew it.


Eliza got the kite soaring as high as it could go - she was completely out of string and doing all the flying herself for quite a while. Now it was time for Eric to have a turn, and he was proudly holding the kite that was soaring high as it could be. Upon flying for a couple of minutes he proudly flew both his hands up in the air and shouted "RELEASE!!!" and I couldn't help but laugh as he let go of the kite and it sailed away!! All was not lost as we chased it down unharmed in the hayfield.
As I watched the glee on both of the kids' faces that day, I wondered if they would remember this day flying kites and if it would be one of those times forever embedded in their memory banks. I am one of those people who always must put work before play, and sometimes I have to force myself to stop and make time for play with my children. I have to remember that my children are only little once and for a very short time. I hope that when they are grown, these times of flying kites will be one of those memories they will cherish and hold dear.I also hope that they realize how lucky they are that they can simply walk out in the yard and fly a kite - there's no power lines or buildings to get caught in the way of having simple, good fun. Even when a three year old decides to release his kite (he has now been informed that's not really the purpose of flying kites) that it is okay because we have room to roam. We are blessed by having the simple things in life that can only be enjoyed by slowing down and letting yourself play. . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment