This is my absolute favorite time of the year - warm enough but too hot - you know the kind of weather you can work outside all day without feeling fried. I love that! I also love the harvest season - seeing the fruits of your labors through spring and summer come to completion. Yesterday and today I have been home alone!!! What a very strange feeling! Craig went to my Dad's to help him for a couple days and Eric decided to join him to go visit Grandma and Aunt Renee.
Yesterday I tackled the kids' closets, especially Eric's! He is growing SO FAST!! I put away all his summer clothes and got out the fall clothes and organized the next size that he's about to grow into. It was so much easier doing this without little hands to disrupt my piles. Then, there was also the added bonus of no complaining about me putting away a favorite shirt - what a relief!
Today, I am canning AGAIN!! I am doing my last batch of tomatoes. I already have 9 more quarts of spaghetti sauce, bringing the grand total to 40 quarts. I have more tomatoes cooking down to can plain tomato sauce. The tomatoes are just about done in the garden now, and last night we enjoyed another fabulous fall treat - fried green tomato sandwiches - yum-o! The kids even ate most of their sandwiches even though they weren't sure about this frying green tomatoes. I had to giggle though as they both asked to put ketchup on their fried green tomatoes!
Yesterday I took in the harvest from the garden. I finally was able to pick my watermelons - I have been testing them for weeks. It was well worth the wait - it was so good! I estimate that my larger watermelon weighed about 12 pounds. I also picked the peppers, so I just have the gourds and pumpkins left in the garden. I always love starting the garden in the spring, but when fall comes, I am usually ready to clean it up and be done!


For the rest of today I will just enjoy savoring the smell of tomatoes cooking down on the stove. Oh, the wonderful smells and joys of this time of year!
Yesterday I tackled the kids' closets, especially Eric's! He is growing SO FAST!! I put away all his summer clothes and got out the fall clothes and organized the next size that he's about to grow into. It was so much easier doing this without little hands to disrupt my piles. Then, there was also the added bonus of no complaining about me putting away a favorite shirt - what a relief!
Today, I am canning AGAIN!! I am doing my last batch of tomatoes. I already have 9 more quarts of spaghetti sauce, bringing the grand total to 40 quarts. I have more tomatoes cooking down to can plain tomato sauce. The tomatoes are just about done in the garden now, and last night we enjoyed another fabulous fall treat - fried green tomato sandwiches - yum-o! The kids even ate most of their sandwiches even though they weren't sure about this frying green tomatoes. I had to giggle though as they both asked to put ketchup on their fried green tomatoes!
Yesterday I took in the harvest from the garden. I finally was able to pick my watermelons - I have been testing them for weeks. It was well worth the wait - it was so good! I estimate that my larger watermelon weighed about 12 pounds. I also picked the peppers, so I just have the gourds and pumpkins left in the garden. I always love starting the garden in the spring, but when fall comes, I am usually ready to clean it up and be done!


For the rest of today I will just enjoy savoring the smell of tomatoes cooking down on the stove. Oh, the wonderful smells and joys of this time of year!
No comments:
Post a Comment