"The wise woman builds her house. . ." Proverbs 14:1


Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Week in Review






This is just the way I like to start a Saturday morning - time to sleep in!! I feel refreshed and recharged and the kids are still nestled in their beds sleeping peacefully. This week has been busy but productive and it's nice to look forward to a sunny day with the kids yet still have my quiet time in the morning with nothing to listen to but the hum of the washing machine and the clicking of the keyboard.

Eliza is settled right into first grade this year. She thinks school is "easy" and I've noticed how last year the bulk of what she told me was about the teacher and the teacher's aide. This year, she speaks of the teacher, but also talks about the other children as well. She's surely not much of a social butterfly, but I'm hoping she's making strides to make friends. The most unfortunate thing of her eight days in school is that she has already caught her first cold. She's not horribly sick, but coughing and sniffling enough to be annoyed by it. Hopefully, she will get better over the weekend.

Last weekend, we got her piano keyboard back from the music store. We've waited awhile for this day, and finally, it arrived. I bought this keyboard at a garage sale for $10, and was thrilled with my awesome deal until I came home and discovered that it didn't work!! Learned an important lesson that day - always check electronics at the yard sale before bringing them home. Not one to give up without a fight, I took it to the music store and they said they would send it to be fixed. Turns out the main power supply was bad and could be replaced for $40. Works for me - a keyboard for $50 is still a deal and Eliza practices so much better on the keyboard than her little toy piano, which who could blame her?! Her piano teacher is working on improving her posture, so she wanted me to get a stand, a better seat, and a music holder for the keyboard. I came up with using a tv tray table against the wall and our one ottoman as the stool. I love being able to accomplish a task using what I have and not having to buy something new - it's such a great feeling.







Being home during the day with just Eric has been a real treat. He's so curious and fun and can entertain himself so well. I canned three out of five days this week and during that time he played with his playdough, took cushions off the couch and built things, played with his fish game, and of course played with his farm toys. He's also very helpful - he helps unload the dishwasher, helped pick and sort grapes for grape juice and loaded up the jars, and is always happy to take lunch to Daddy. Yesterday he put soap in the dishwasher and as we were closing the door, he almost shut his nose in it. When I asked him what he was doing - he said "I'm trying to see how that works in there. I want to see how the soap gets up to the top to wash the dishes." Well, honestly my understanding of how the dishwasher works is sketchy and he was bummed that there wasn't some way we could see inside to watch it work! He's had his fair share of rides with Daddy this week on the chopper too since we've been delivering lunch and the other day we walked down to the field he was chopping just to see him. He loves being with his Dad and doing anything with farming.

No comments:

Post a Comment