"The wise woman builds her house. . ." Proverbs 14:1


Monday, February 25, 2013

Running the Sick Ward

I'm so glad that February is coming to an end. Maybe it'll be the end of all the sickness in this house. I have lysoled, disinfected, and cleaned non-stop all month, and I'm about ready to turn down the heat, throw open the windows, and blow the germs out!

On February 8th, I got a call from school while I was in Punxsutawney that Eliza had gotten sick at school. Craig went to pick her up. She stayed home the next day, sick over the weekend, and home sick on that Monday too. Easton had managed to get a runny nose/head cold over the weekend too. I got Eliza back to school and everyone managably healthly until Valentine's Day evening, when Eric got sick and threw up all over the place. He was sick until Sunday. That very night, Eliza came down with a 102.6 fever.

Eliza was out of school for an entire week. On Wednesday her fever broke. The next two days, I kept telling myself, "she's going to get better." But she didn't. She didn't eat, she slept 11 hours at night and 2-3 hours every afternoon. She ached, she complained. By Saturday, a low grade fever returned, and I was starting to worry. On Sunday, Craig and I took her to the Clinic at Walmart which said that she either had the flu or mono. They said that with the flu, one normally starts to perk up within 7 days. Sunday was day 7. Blood work would be needed to confirm either diagnosis and the Clinic was not authorized to order blood work. We also found that she had an ear infection, and we got antibotics for that.

Leaving Walmart, I asked Eliza if she'd like a Subway sub, as she'd been telling me that she was hungry for a hoagie. We picked up a subways for lunch, and came home to have her eat an entire 6" sub!! I was cautiously thrilled. The amount of puke I've cleaned up over the past weeks leaves me wary of large consumption of food.

Thankfully, it stayed down, and she perked up. By supper time, she was acting much more like herself. I kept her home from school one more day today, but she was a totally different child. Had her missed school work done by lunchtime. She was reading magazines instead of staring aimlessly at the tv for hours.

Relief. . oh no, not yet. Easton woke up with a high fever and throwing up on and off all day. Too little to tell me what he wants. Too little to understand that he can only eat certain things. I have held him almost all day. I'm exhausted, and I haven't even gotten sick - yet. Let's hope this doesn't last a full seven days for him. I might need to be committed if it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment