"The wise woman builds her house. . ." Proverbs 14:1


Sunday, February 17, 2013

Success!!!

I am self professed "non-sewer". I remember my first attempt at a sewing project. I asked my mom to show me how to make a hooded baby towel. Throughout the process, I kept asking, "are we done yet?"

Several years ago, I did purchase a old, used sewing machine for $35, and it has served its purpose for me. I can mend jeans, tuck children's pants, and can finally make those hooded baby towels without feeling distress.

Sewing has always intrigued me, and it's been something I have wished I could do. The idea of being able to create something exactly how I want it to be is very appealing to me. I've always just lacked the ability to do it right....or so I thought. I have often wanted someone to help me, guide me, teach me, but have pretty much given up on that dream.

A few weeks ago, I found myself stumped on what to get for my newborn nephew. I wanted to get something useful, something that hadn't already been purchased, and something that could be used for a long time. I looked at making a swaddling blanket, but wasn't sure that was the right fit. We had bought fabric that went with the nursery theme a few months back, and I kept thinking that I wanted to use it - somehow. I finally decided to use my favorite problem solver - the internet. I googled "how to make a patch work baby blanket" and found instructions. I read down through the instructions, and thought "I can do that - it's simple geometery."

Off to the store to buy a coordinating fabric, then made myself an 8 inch square "pattern" out of plain white paper, and I set to work on my project. I decided on a large blanket - something that could be used for years to come on a toddler or twin sized bed. I cut the squares, sewed them together, and had a blanket that was 48 by 64 inches.  Then during Easton's naptime, I laid the blanket out on the floor and pinned the backing, batting, and the front all together. I then rolled it up, and kept on sewing . . ..until I ran out of thread!!! I had never run out of thread before!

After another trip to the store for more thread, I finished the blanket by adding store bought binding - which I was told by two different people was unnecessary. Oh well, I liked how it looked, and why do they make it if it isn't to be used? All in all, the best part was that making this blanket was actually FUN! It's useful and cute, which is the perfect combination of a gift to me.

Another added bonus - I feel confident that I can actually sew now. I proved it to myself. I'm sure I made mistakes, but I also saw how to correct them. Maybe I don't need a teacher afterall. . .just will, determination, and a little help from the internet.


No comments:

Post a Comment