I remember a time in those late teenage years and early 20s when Valentine's Day brought stress and expectations - sometimes fulfilled and sometimes not. But these days, there are no expectations. I don't expect anything from my husband. . .it's not a big, romantic day for us. Instead, it's transformed into a simple, but fun day of showing love to my husband and my kids.
Special touches can mean so much. We had heart shaped pancakes for breakfast. Then, I bought a special Valentine Day card for each of the kids, decorated a white lunchbag with their name on it, and put inside. . .wait for it. . .a Valentine Little Debbie treat. I know, not very special, right? Wrong. My kids get very few store bought treats, so a Valentine Little Debbie is a BIG deal. And, it makes the day very affordable for me, yet exciting for them. Perfect match.
| I cut a heart shaped hole into the top of each child's bag and hung it on their chair at the table. |
We had made heart shaped Valentine cookies at home the weekend before Valentine's Day, but when Eliza came home with this cookie from a classmate, I thought, hmmm, I might have to try that for next year!
| I definately want to try to make cookies like this next year! Eat 'N Park has nothing on me! |
Simple little touches, but hopefully, I am shaping Valentines Day in the right way in my children's minds. I want them to know that it is good to show love to your family and friends, it doesn't have to just be romantic love to enjoy Valentine's Day. I don't want them to be disappointed or heart broken on Valentines Day, just because their expectations aren't met. Keepin' it simple - sharing the love!
And, for an added bonus on Valentine's Day, we got to meet our new nephew, Jonah this weekend for the first time. We also got this picture of him in the onesie that we sent him inside his Valentine's Day card. Talk about sharing the love!

No comments:
Post a Comment