We are now 4 1/2 weeks into Lent. I always try to give something up for Lent, and most years, the Farmer Man says, "Don't you think that's too hard?" "Yes, of course I do! That's exactly why I'm doing it." I have this inner need to prove things to myself. This year was no exception. I chose to give up Facebook for Lent.
When I think of it, reliance on social media is funny in a way. For centuries, people lived without instantly being able to tell the entire world what they thought. And, stepping away from such a thing makes me think that there is certainly some good in not knowing everything the second it happens. It makes you work harder to connect with people, which makes friendships more treasured and cared for.
I do miss Facebook somedays. It's nice to be able to connect with the outside world when you stay at home most days. It's nice to be able to talk with friends and relatives that live far away in a instant fashion. Being that it's easier and less time consuming than sitting down to write a letter, it's a really good way to stay in touch with those far away. And for someone who doesn't like to talk on the phone, Facebook is usually a good option for me.
Mostly though, I have found it very freeing to be without Facebook. It's certainly given me the feeling that I waste less time, and I'm not irritated by people's constant battle over gun control or some other political issue or some people's need to post EVERYTHING personal about their lives on Facebook. I do not need to see a picture of your pregnancy test. Really, that's okay. In about 6-8 weeks, you could surely find a more refined way to share it with the world.
Or there's the fact that Facebook seems to have taken away people's need to share their important news with the people they love and are closest to in a face to face or at least spoken form. No need to call or tell someone my news - I'll just post it on Facebook. It really makes soceity lose something.
So, yes, in a couple of weeks I'll be back on Facebook. If nothing else, to keep Facebook from sending me reminders twice a week about my 98 notificiations, 7 messages, and 1 poke. I have decided on a few things though. My friends list will be reduced. Going on Facebook will be less often. Computers are good. Facebook can be good. But moderation in all things is best.
No comments:
Post a Comment