"The wise woman builds her house. . ." Proverbs 14:1


Thursday, June 21, 2012

God's Blessings

I have been singing the chorus of "My God is so Great, so strong, and so mighty, there's nothing my God cannot do" in my head over and over for the past couple weeks to remind myself. Last night and today were days that made me fully realize how true those words are. Amazing. Our God is an awesome God.

June 4, 2012 my Grandma had surgery on her heart. She spent two weeks on a breathing ventilator heavily sedated. She didn't know us when we visited. We were lucky to get her to open her eyes. On Sunday, Dad and I visited her and it was horrible. They took the breathing tube out on Monday afternoon, and by Tuesday she wasn't breathing well so my sister ran to Pittsburgh to be at her side in case she didn't pull through. The Lord blessed her with an incredible visit where Grandma knew her and was happy and communicating. Wednesday I got the call that she wasn't well, and time was not on our side. I handed the kids off to my husband and mother-in-law, called a friend and we raced off to Pittsburgh. I entered the ICU locked doors and took a deep breath for what I was about to see. As soon as I laid eyes on her, Grandma's eyes were open and she said, "OH, Robin!" before I even entered the door of her room. Her voice is at a whisper, but I knew exactly what she said. I was able to talk to her and I called my Dad and he talked to her over the phone while I was there. We visited for an hour, and she told me THREE times, "I'm going home tomorrow." I didn't know what to think. Heavenly home or earthly home? I left that hospital on cloud 9. God is good. I had peace. I felt HIS blessings all over me. For the first time in nearly three weeks she knew who I was. It was incredible.

But God wasn't done. Today, I got to be there as an ambulance arrived in my Grandma's driveway and brought her home just like she said. They brought her in and she lit up. "Oh, I am so glad to be home." As soon as her eyes landed on Renee, she motioned her forward and held onto her tight. Dad walked in the room and she lit up again, if she could have jumped out of that bed she would have. "I love you so much," she told him over and over. He  knelt by her bed and held her hand. He is at peace. He's done everything he can do to make her happy. She's back in her living room with her hospital bed set so that she can look out the window and see Dad's house, the barn, the silos, and the grain bin. Her life's work. Her love. 

Eliza and Eric are so happy to have their Grandma home. Bittersweet it is. I never thought she was coming home again. I know the Lord may call her home at any moment, and I have to temper the kids excitement with the truth of what is to come. Grandma is going to heaven soon, but she's a fighter. God has given us precious moments with this incredible woman. I held her tight tonight, kissed her head, and she told me again, "You know that I love you." I do. My only hope is that she knows how much we all love her. She is an amazing woman, and we are all better people for having lived life with her. God is strong and mighty, and I am convinced that there is NOTHING my God cannot do.

No comments:

Post a Comment