"The wise woman builds her house. . ." Proverbs 14:1


Sunday, March 4, 2012

Shoe Shopping - UGH!

Shopping is not something this farm girl does for fun. I occasionally get the urge to shop - maybe like once or twice a year, but generally, I dislike it. I have always liked grocery shopping and I thought it was because I love to cook and bake. But after my shopping experience this weekend, I've decided that it's because you can set out with a list that says, "crackers, flour, sugar, dish soap, yogurt, paper towels, batteries, etc." and you can go into Aldi and Walmart and find each of these items without the urge to pull out your hair!!! There is no debate whether they look right, will fit right, or are the right price. You need them, the store has them, enough said.

I, however, gave birth to a little girl 8 years ago, who is a shopper. Lord. Have. Mercy. It almost brings my grays that I just had colored back out! We went to find white dress shoes for Easter. Thank the Lord for all the wonderful hand-me-down clothes that we get that make it so I do not have to shop for a new dress for this child. We searched high and low, and came home with no shoes. There were shoes she liked. There were shoes I liked. Nary a pair that we could agree upon. She could look for hours, but especially with her two brothers in toe, there was no way I was about to look for hours. I don't think that in our town we have an especially good assortment of kids shoes, and my love of hand-me-downs, second hand shops, and yard sales make everything in the store look expensive. But beyond the price of these lovely little girl shoes, why, oh why, do they have to make shoes for an 8 year old in a 2+ inch heel? Why do they have to look like Kim Kardashian wanna-be's??? I am trying so hard to teach modesty in this not-so-modest world, and teach practicality to a child who certainly doesn't lean that way - what a hard road we tread.

I got the boys each a new suit for Easter. The baby of course was a "no-contest" procedure. Eric had his new suit picked out in a matter of 30 seconds. It went like this, "How 'bout this one?" "nope" - "how about this one?" "Nope." How about this one? "YEAH!" Into the cart and $14 later we were set. But we agonize over the shoes. We are now onto online shopping. I have checked e-bay and amazon and a half dozen other stores that carry little girl shoes. I do find online shopping much more enjoyable, but still have my uneasiness about the grown up look of the shoes she really wants. Now I have to factor in shipping charges and such too. Oh, why can't it be more simple??? Why can't I just bring her home a pair of beautiful white dress shoes, and she jump up and say, "oh thank you mother, they're beautiful"? Oh, I guess I was just wishing for life more simply.

1 comment:

  1. You will never know how much I enjoy reading your posts! It feels like living my younger years all over again! And oh, about the "oh thank you mother, they're beautiful" thing, KEEP DREAMING! It's just not gonna happen!

    ReplyDelete