I felt guilty for saying it. Maybe that's crazy, but I don't ever want my children to think that I gave up something better than them to stay at home with them. Truth is - I've never been more satisfied with a "job" than this one. I have that deep in my gut feeling that this is exactly where I should be. Yes, there are days when I mutter about needing a break and wanting to escape, but truly, it's just a cry for a little time off. And, what working woman (or man) doesn't need a little time off?
I have never had a harder job in my life. I would honestly challenge any I.B.W. (Independent Business Woman) to switch places for a day, and I think she'd change her opinion. Raising kids is full of challenges, and it's certainly not turning my brain to mush. Just keeping up with the "dailies" - laundry, dishes, cooking, cleaning, takes a lot of scheduling and multi-tasking. All things I learned in business school and in the work place. Budgeting for a one income family takes accounting to a whole new level.
Beyond the hard work of it all, there is the JOY. Yes, the joy. Watching the kids run through the corn field tonight laughing and giggling. Hearing them race their bikes up the driveway while one was "Harry" and the other "Amber" for the night. And, watching all three of them, even the six month old, watch our kite sail up in the perfect blue sky. These are the things that no paycheck or status could ever top. Life is about the moments that take your breath away, and these are them for me.
The next time someone asks me if I work, I want to answer like my Facebook page declares, "Yes, I work. I'm a stay at home mom."
Well said!
ReplyDelete