"The wise woman builds her house. . ." Proverbs 14:1


Sunday, March 25, 2012

MOPS and Jelly Bellys

The other day I was in in the candy store, and I saw a bag of Jelly Belly Jelly Beans. I never have been all that crazy about jelly beans, but Jelly Belly Jelly Beans are the exception - they are yummy and fun to eat. While at the store, I spotted a bag of Jelly Bellys that were just the Buttered Popcorn flavor. As much as I personally love the flavor of the buttered popcorn variety, all I could think was "how boring!" Who would want a bag of just buttered popcorn jelly beans without all the other interesting flavors mixed in? I began to look at a regular bag of Jelly Belly's . . . . 41 flavors it said on the side. Interesting, we have 41 registered moms in our MOPS group. As I look at the little candies in the bag - I can't help but notice how they are all in a similar shape, but they are all different colors, smells, and flavors. So, little candies all in the same bag together - kinda like a bunch of moms all in the same phase in mothering together meeting together for MOPS. As I look at the flavors it makes me think of us. Some of us are fun-loving moms like a cotton candy or a bubble gum flavor. Some of us are great at comforting others like the comforting flavor of java, ice cream cake, or buttered popcorn. Some of us are sweet like strawberry cheesecake or roasted marshmallow. Some of us are spicy and unexpected like spicy cinnamon. And, of course, some of us are just a bit fruity like pineapple, perfectly pear or wild cherry!

I don't know about you, but I think that if we were all the same like a bag of buttered popcorn jelly beans, MOPS would be pretty boring. But, since we are more like the bag of 41 flavors, I don't think that MOPS is ever boring. There is always something we can learn from another mom. We can learn unique and fun ways to improve our mothering. We can be there for each other to laugh at the funny antics of our kids and then we can be there to cry and pray together when we are hurting over a sick child or a scary diagnosis. Each of us has unique talents and gifts that we can use to build up each other and our group. We can do great things when we work together.

Sometimes when we are in a group like MOPS, it's easier to stick together with the moms that are just like us - like a bunch of chocolate pudding jelly beans in a bowl. But, as we reach out and mingle together with the tootie fruities of the group - you may be surprised to find that although they may be a different flavor, they are still a jelly bean....... I mean a mom - with a heart that loves her kids, strives to be the best she can be for her family, worries about her shortcomings, and longs to have other mom friends who support and understand her. So, stir up the 41 flavors of jelly beans in your bowl and think about how all us moms mix together to make a great compliments to each other in our mothering journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment