"The wise woman builds her house. . ." Proverbs 14:1


Thursday, May 31, 2012

A Wild Welcome to "Summer"

May 25th was the last day of school. We were so excited to have school out before Memorial Day! And to make it more realistic, the Lord blessed us with some super hot 85ish and up degree weather. It was hot and humid - true summer weather. The last day of school we went to the Brockway play ground and played in the sprinklers at the park with friends. Saturday and Sunday we played with some water at home and finally on Monday, we visited the pool for the first time.

On Tuesday, our hot, humid weather was on its way out, and in order to usher it out, we got some severe storms. While I was hurrying to shut the upstairs windows, I happened to see the chicken pen FLY across the yard and land down by the pond. "OH NO!!" Eric saw it too and was in hysterics that the chickens were out!!! Craig and I ran outside, backed the car out of the garage, and ushered 22 chickens inside the garage. We grabbed the box that the chickens had inside the pen that hadn't blown away, and heaved it into the garage. The old box spring that I was sick of seeing in the garage worked perfect to keep the chickens huddled in the one corner of the garage while the storm raged on. Of course, Craig snickered at the fact that this old box spring was such a great help when he knew I would have thrown it out long ago!

After Craig and I dried off, the kids and I spent the rest of the day inside while the kids played pretend for hours. With the rain pounding away, I heard the first dreaded "I'm bored" from Eliza. I immediately told her to find something creative to do. She disappeared quietly and the next thing I knew, she appeared with her "broken leg" and "cast". Crazy, silly girl!! We all  had to sign this wonderful cast, and she actually slept in it that night!
After the evening milking, Craig and his dad came over and rolled the chicken pen over and returned it to its original place in the yard. We then carried the chickens back to it, all but one chicken that Eric actually managed to "herd" back into the pen. Once supper was done, I noticed this amazing yellow sky and I when I took a picture of it, the picture came out with a bright pinkish color. This is the pasture across the road, and if you look closely, you can see the silhouettes of the dry cows up on the hill. It's a little blurry from the zoom and the fact that I don't have a fancy camera, but I thought it was still pretty cool all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment