It's been a couple weeks since I've sat down to blog. Life has been crazy busy, and I've felt like I've been going crazy just to keep up with it all. It's that time of year, and I should know after 11 years of marriage and a lifetime of farming that this is the way of life come May. Craig has been working extra long hours to get all the corn and soybeans planted as well as getting the first crop of hay in for silage. Now, I understand and respect his work ethic, but I also feel a bit overwhelmed and exhausted holding down the fort at home by myself.
It's very important to me to make each day worth while and to slow down and enjoy the moments, but I've found out that when life becomes crazy and overwhelming, it certainly makes it hard to do that. I've been frustrated about how very little Craig is home, but I know that's not going to change - EVER - so I know I need to find ways to change me and change the routine and rhythm of my home to make it more doable and enjoyable.
I was blessed on Mother's Day to listen to a talk on ten stress relief tips for moms. I've actually listened to it about 3 times, the last time I actually took notes!! Much to my relief, I was able to try out stress relief tip number one over Memorial Day weekend.The tip was to "take a day off". Not easy for me. I don't feel like I can. Not easy for Craig - dairy farmers don't get days off. Jill Savage, the woman who wrote these tips, stressed the fact that it is TAKE a day off, because no one is going to give it to you! How very true! The older two were going to spend the night at my mom's on Saturday, so that they could go with my sister and grandma to plant flowers at the cemeteries. Their behavior had been "iffy" and Craig threatened that they wouldn't be able to go. . . . . ."Oh No!" I told him. They are going - I NEED them to go. And, indeed I did. I left them there Saturday evening and returned for them Sunday afternoon. What a wonderful break it was for me. With just me and Easton, I felt like someone had literally plugged me into a battery charger! I felt like a brand new woman!
On Monday, much to my delight and SURPRISE, Craig and I actually got to go to a picnic! It was such a nice day. I don't think we have ever gone anywhere on Memorial Day because there is always hay to be made, and as you all know, "you have to make hay when the sun shines!" But on this day, Craig actually took the afternoon off to spend with us. Family Time. It was a such a blessing. My cup runs over.
I felt like I had been put in a much better place for my start to summer vacation. This the time to slow down and enjoy. Love the sunshine. Breathe in the summer smells. Live slower.
Its the times we feel the most overwhelmed that we truly need to step back and MAKE OURSELVES take that breather. We as moms are better for it and our children are better for it. My hubby works all the time too. Tax season I call myself a tax widow and when its not tax season he still pulls 60 hour work weeks (and that feels like part time compared to tax season). Good for you for getting some ME time and good for Craig for making time for family too.. THAT is what the kids will remember, not so much that mommy and daddy worked all the time for the better of the family.
ReplyDelete