"The wise woman builds her house. . ." Proverbs 14:1


Saturday, April 7, 2012

Easter - My Favorite

I absolutely love Easter. I found myself really aware of that this year. I always hear people talk of Christmas; how much they love Christmas; and how it's their favorite holiday. Christmas can be frustrating to me. . .but Easter, that's my time!

For me, it starts with Lent. Weird, but there is something deeply satisfying to me about lent. We live in a society and in a time where we want for nothing. Most of the things that we "want" for are simply that - "wants". We need for nothing. We have overabundance of just about everything. I purposely try to pick something hard for me to give up. This year I was torn between Facebook and chocolate, but ultimately decided on chocolate. Facebook, albeit's ability to be frustrating, can be a good thing for a stay-at-home mom who can become a little hermit like. Chocolate had become a crutch for me - a binge on some of the sweet stuff to relieve stressful moments. So, I took on the challenge of no-chocolate for 46 days. I feel stronger for having done it. It's such a minuet sacrifice compared to the sacrifice of my Savior. He left his heavenly home to come to this earth for 33 years to be the ultimate sacrifice for my sins. I can't imagine how it must have been for him. Lent is such a tiny speck of relation to the sacrifice He made. I would smell chocolate over the last several weeks and wonder if when Jesus was here on earth if there were sights and smells that made him long for His heavenly home and for His Father? Did He long to go home when He went up to a mountain top or secluded place to pray? I know my giving up chocolate doesn't even get me on the scale to make these comparisons to Jesus, but it made me think. And, that's what it's all about.

Easter brings about everything fresh and new. Easter is simpler - not so much hoopla. But it's beautiful, as are most things in their simple forms. There is not the competition over gifts like there is at Christmas. A simple basket filled with goodies will do. No pressure about getting everything so perfect and special. There are cute baby animals and beautiful pastel colors everywhere. Easter Egg Hunts with kids happy to simply run through the yard searching for plastic eggs filled with candy. Then there are the flowers - my personal favorite - tulips and daffodils with their heavenly smell filling my yard. I love the anticipation of watching them come up and get buds. I love seeing the trees filled with blossoms and thinking of the promise they hold. Easter is about promise - a promise that Christ has paid the price and that I can live with Him forever.

Lent; all about sacrifice, cleansing, and becoming purer and closer to my Savior. Easter; all about praising and joy that I serve a RISEN Savior. I can't think of a better reason to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment