"The wise woman builds her house. . ." Proverbs 14:1


Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Bittersweet Baby Steps

It's early, it's quiet, and although I would love to have a full night's sleep, I've come to enjoy the 5 o'clockish waking of my baby boy. It's the chance to get up early and have me time. This time energizes me almost as much as sleep.

Today is April 25 - the 25th of each month comes now with a bittersweet feeling. My baby boy is  8 months old today. Seems unreal to me that he can be that old already. Seems not that long ago when I wondered if my dreams of another child were meant to be. I prayed so hard for this child, and now the time seems to be flying by at an alarming rate. But as I think about this, I remind myself not just to focus on the quickness of it all, but instead to breathe it all in. I often offer a quick prayer while watching him, "Lord, let me soak this all in." These moments are too precious to forget.

To turn my bitter into sweetness, I think about all the fun things that Easton is learning every day. He is  curious and funny all the time. He has been pulling himself up now for a month, and now tries to stand without holding on which usually leads to disappointment on his part especially if he's not on a carpeted floor. He loves his brother and sister and is forever fascinated by anything and everything that they do. Eric's farming table is one of his newest discoveries and although he frustrates Eric at times, it's adorable to watch them both playing there together.

He's an independent little guy who insists on feeding himself instead of using the spoon. Craig has much better luck getting him to use the spoon than I do. He's got two cute little teeth now too; unfortunately he's also learned how to use them on places other than food. And, just yesterday, I saw him take on his rocking chair in his room - he pulled himself up onto it, swung his leg out, and within seconds was standing up on the seat of the chair. Oh, the days ahead will be full of adventure I am sure. Easton loves to be outside and has no fear about crawling through the grass. Even on the fussiest of teething days, outside is sure soother for him.

Just yesterday he learned to wave, and Eliza captured his waving on video last night at dinner time. She also gave him food for waving so I'm pretty sure he thinks this is a great way to get what he wants. His scrunchy, happy face is just so funny! So today I will try to focus on celebrating this amazing little life and all the amazing things he's doing at 8 months old instead of being sad that he's growing up too fast.


No comments:

Post a Comment