This situation is really under my skin. I LOVE to bake. I LOVE to cook, and I pride myself on making almost everything we eat from scratch. I make three meals a day and a snack, every single day!! There are charts and systems to get all of this done. I have made and decorated an entire wedding cake. I can my own spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, make homemade pies from scratch with homemade pie filling that I picked and canned myself!!! But BREAD - oooohhhhh - it's the one that's just out of my grasp.
The kids try to help my overflowing frustration. Last night when I peeked under the towel, only to see that it was once again NOT rising in the pans, Eliza says, "it's ok, Mom, as long as it tastes good, who cares what it looks like." Well, honey, bricks of bread usually don't taste good. I've come to the conclusion that the only ones at my house who are benefiting from my numerous failures in the bread department are the ducks. Fortunately, for my frugal mind, it's not a total waste when they will eat any failure - baked or not.
I'm not sure why this bothers me so much. Craig really doesn't care if the bread is homemade or not. And, I'm really not striving to make all my bread. I just would like to make homemade bread to go along with supper now and then. Just Monday my stand mixer breathed its last. I have been looking at a Kitchen Aide Mixer, as I really think that as much as I bake and cook, it would be a worthwhile investment. I am determined to try to make bread again when I get it. Until then, I will just keep practicing four words: Rhoades Frozen Bread Dough.
Bread is a tough one. I have had success using my kitchen aid, but if you are buying one simply to make bread, that is some pricey bread!
ReplyDeleteStacy is a master bread maker. You should talk with her. I know she uses her kitchen aid or else uses a bread machine just for the mixing and rising then takes it out and puts it in the oven to bake. That way she still gets it in a regular loaf sized shape.
Thanks for posting a link to your blog. I didn't know you were doing this. I will certainly enjoy reading it.
I am planning on buying a kitchen aid because I literally wore out my other mixer and I do not have a mixer at all now. I make a lot of cakes and icings and need a mixer for that. So, I think it's time I had a good mixer like a Kitchen Aid.
DeleteI absolutely LOVE my KitchenAid and have had it for many years. You let me know when you're ready to try again and I'll give you my super duper french bread recipe! It's great!
ReplyDeleteThree cheers for your bread baking efforts! :) Don't give up - homemade bread is the best. I've helped lots of beginning bakers overcome their bread baking fears and frustrations with my simple Farmhouse White Sandwich Bread recipe. You don't even need a mixer, and once you master the basic formula you can make the recipe your own by adding whole wheat flour, bran, honey, or whatever you like.
ReplyDeleteThe recipe post includes photos and lots of tips for bread baking success. If your dough isn't rising, you want to make sure your yeast is fresh. Happy baking! :)
Oops, sorry, that link to the recipe isn't working. Try this:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.farmgirlfare.com/2011/01/farmhouse-white-easy-basic-white.html